I am a masters student in the Department of Combinatorics and Optimization at the University of Waterloo under the supervision of Kanstantsin Pashkovich
. Prior to this, I was a computing science undergrad at UAlberta. I spent my time there competing in programming contests and inhabiting the window-less broom closet known as the math lounge.
I am primarily interested in questions related to combinatorial optimization. I used to work on approximation algorithms for classical graph problems (e.g. colouring). These days I mostly think about optimization under uncertainty (e.g. stochastic problems, online optimization). At the end of the day, I find pretty much anything with a combinatorial flavor interesting - many of my favorite open problems have little to do with my research area.
Competitive programming is fun! It's a great way to practice algorithmic problem solving skills in a concrete way. I've participated in the International Collegiate Programming Contest
three times during my undergrad and qualified for world finals twice.
Now that my time as a competitor is mostly over, I've transitioned towards coaching and problemsetting. Solving problems is fun, but making them and watching other people solve them is somehow a little more fun. Here is an always-evolving list of the public problems I've written.
Here is an incomplete summary of the contests I've participated in (and will participate in soon).
- 05-08/2022: UAlberta // Research Assistant, Studying Approximation Algorithms with Zachary Friggstad
- 01-04/2022: UAlberta // Teaching Assistant, CMPUT 403 Practical Algorithms
- 09-12/2021: UAlberta // Teaching Assistant, CMPUT 304 Algorithms 2
- 06-08/2021: Hudson River Trading // Software Engineering Intern
- 01-04/2021: UAlberta // Teaching Assistant, CMPUT 403 Practical Algorithms
- 09-12/2020: UAlberta // Teaching Assistant, CMPUT 175 Introductory Computing
- 05-08/2020: Kepler // Software Engineering Intern
- 09/2019-04/2020: UAlberta // Teaching Assistant, CMPUT 274-275 Introductory Computing
- 05-08/2019: UAlberta // "Research" Assistant, Developing Course Content
- 07/2017-08/2018: Edmonton Integration and Robotics // Software Engineering Intern
Thank you to Noah Weninger for the website design.